We are local painters, so we have noticed that Brisbane has more double-storey height homes than anywhere else in Australia
Original “Queenslander” homes built high off the ground are effectively double-storey height. Add them to the many double-storey homes around, and voila – Brisbane.
How Double-Storey House Painters use Scaffolding vs Ladders
Scaffolding is by far the safest and most efficient way to paint your home. However, it is expensive to rent and tricky to erect by yourself. Most hire places only allow you to rent their scaffolding if their staff erect it for you – and for good reason. Here’s what’s involved:-
- Create a level and stable surface or a stable platform on which to place the wheels.
- Use a spirit level to ensure the first upright is vertically and horizontally plumb by adjusting the screws on the wheels.
- Hold the upright in place with poles while you erect the other upright at the correct distance.
- Ensure the second upright is vertical and horizontally correct.
- Attach the first 2 horizontal bars on either side to hold the structure in place.
- Place the stabilising posts at both ends to make the structure safe.
- Lift the standing platform to the required level with the trapdoor facing the most accessible end.
- Erect the ladder inside the scaffolding frame on the same side as the trapdoor
- Use the ladder extension pole to hold the ladder out from the upright.
Now you are ready to bring up all your preparation and painter’s equipment for use as you need it.
You probably have a ladder that reaches ceiling height. But when it comes to painting a double-storey height home, not many ladders are tall or safe enough to use for vigorous preparation work or painting.
Even if you do have a ladder tall enough, you still need to climb up and down each time you need something.
You also have to move the ladder each time you finish a small section, and it’s easy to injure yourself when you over-reach to finish that little corner – just there – beyond your reach. Of course if you don’t have anything to hold on to or you overbalance, the consequences don’t bear thinking about.
Don’t forget that you can damage your home while moving a tall ladder, and the rungs bend your feet at unnatural angles, leaving them sore and stiff.
We live in a special place, and double-storey height houses in Brisbane need special care. So don’t risk yourself or your family, leave the painting as well as the scaffolding, ladders and pole extensions to us. Call for a free quote on (07) 3829 5735 today.