Paint doesn’t last forever. In fact, exterior painting lasts around a decade, sometimes less.
There are warning signs that you should look out for that show your home is in need of a repaint. And, if left untreated, these warning signs could result in damage that is both expensive and time consuming to repair.
The Warning Signs
Warning signs will differ depending on the material of your home (brick, wood, etc.) and the climate you live in.
These are the most common signs your home needs exterior painting:
- Peeling paint: Paint that peels or blisters away from the surface shows that the paint is no longer adhering to the surface. Not only is this unsightly, but it can result in serious damage further down the track.
- Exposed wood: This is particularly common toward the edges of wooden panels, weatherboards, doors and window frames.
- Mould and/or water stains: Mould grows on damp surfaces, usually positioned away from sunlight. Some varieties of mould are harmful to humans.
When inspecting your home for these warning signs, ensure you look thoroughly at the very bottom of your home, and the very top. The bottom of your home could be more prone to mould, particularly if awnings or trees shade the area. The top of your home will be more prone to sun damage, such as blistering and cracking.
What Happens if I Ignore the Warning Signs?
Exterior painting does cost more than changing the colour of your bedroom. That’s why so many people put it off as long as possible. Unfortunately, the repercussions of this delay can be expensive.
Here’s what you risk if you ignore the warning signs and fail to repaint your exterior:
- Paint will peel off completely: Blistered, peeling paint will eventually fall off, and expose the raw material of your home. You want to avoid this at all costs, as exposed wood can eventuate in rot.
- Wood rot: Exposed wood will eventually rot. Damaged wood cannot be covered up with paint, as it threatens the structural integrity of your home. Instead, it must be replaced.
- Mould and mildew will proliferate: When left alone, mould will thrive and grow. Removing large quantities of mould is no easy task, and will probably require the assistance of a professional.
Not only will a fresh paint help prevent further damage, it also adds value to your home.
Exterior Painting: Don’t Wait!
Don’t ignore the warning signs. Protect your home from future damage by having the exterior professionally painted. We rectify existing damage and thoroughly prepare the surfaces to ensure the new paint adheres and protects. Give us a call now on 07 3829 5735 or fill out the form at the top of this page for a quick, accurate quote.