Embarking on a DIY painting project? You might be wondering how to paint doors so you get a wonderful professional finish.
While the process isn’t too difficult, a few specific precautions here and there can make a world of difference.
In this article, we’ll share a quick overview of the step-by-step process. We’ve also included a couple of professional tips, which are worth taking note of. At the end of the day, you want flawless results!
How to paint doors in 7 steps
- Do not remove the door immediately. First, take the time to look at the gap between the door and the doorframe. If the gap is extremely narrow, you’ll need to sand down the door edges a millimetre or two before you paint. This will ensure your freshly painted door still fits in its frame.
- Now it’s time to remove handles and any other peripherals, such as coat hooks.
Pro tip: Use a door stopper to wedge the door into position. This will make it much easier to remove handles.
- Remove the door carefully, and lay it across two sawhorses, chairs, or a table. Then, wash the door thoroughly with soap and water. Rinse, and allow to dry completely.
- If your door was already painted with enamel paint, you’ll need to give the entire thing a quick sand. This will ensure the new paint adheres properly.
Pro tip: Always wipe down surfaces thoroughly before painting. Fibres from sanding can create an uneven surface.
- Apply a primer. Make sure the primer is suitable for the type of paint you are using.
- Stir your paint and, using a synthetic brush, paint one side of the door. Be sure to paint the edges last. When the door is dry, flip it over and paint the opposite side.
Pro tip: Give your door a light sand before applying the second coat.
- Apply the second coat of paint. This will create an even finish. Allow to dry. Flip, repeat, and you are done. It’s time to re-install your door.
Want professional help?
If painting doors is something that needs doing at your place, but even thinking about it causes you to start dreaming up reasons why you just can’t this month - don’t panic. Many eager DIYers realise that they may be in over their head and end up spending much more time and money than they ever thought it would take.
Get your time back and call in the pros instead. We guarantee a superb finish, and it’ll be done a lot quicker than you could do yourself. Contact our team on 07 3829 5735 or fill out the form on this page, and we’ll be in touch ASAP.